History

Port History

  • 1957………..Lopez airstrip was donated to the Lopez community by Mr. and Mrs. B. J.  McConaghy deeding it to SJ County.
  • 1957 to 69..The dirt airstrip was originally maintained by American Legion, the first night runway lights were installed.
  • 1957 to 69..Land was purchased to expand airport from Gallanger’s with labor donated by Simmons, Ted Richey Sr., Romayne Ritchie and Roy Blake..
  • 1968………..Port of Lopez was formed to fund and operate the airport.
  • 1969………..Airport deeded to Port of Lopez.
  • 1970………..Airport had 2385 flight operations, 1095 operations were San Juan Airlines  according to Roy Franklin.
  • 1971………..Runway was lengthened 600 feet to the north and leveled, power lines were removed.
  • 1971………..Hangar A, airport’s first hangar was built by the “Lopez Flyers” (Jim Higginson, Bill Carpenter, Clay Barton, Bob Olsen, Art Anderson & Ike Scherer).
  • 1972………..Terminal and administration building constructed.
  • 1978………..Runway was leveled and resurfaced, using FAA  AIP funding.
  • 1980………..After a tragic accident caused by aircraft hitting a deer, wiild life fence enclosing runway was built, using FAA  AIP funding.
  • 1981………..Hangar B, 1991- Hangar C and 1996 – Hangar D built and paid for by “Lopez Flyers”.
  • 1987………..Runway, taxiway and apron rehabilitated, using FAA  AIP funding.
  • 1998………..15 lower hangars were built by local pilots on land leased from the Port (now 34 hangars on airport).
  • 2000………..Installed first vertical visual approach guidance system using FAA  AIP funding
  • 2001………..Purchased 2.5 acres on Shark Reef Road (Murphy Property) in RPZ to remove trees, replanted Oregon Wax Myrtle. Funded with FAA AIP funding.
  • 2001………..Extensive tree topping for runway approaches, using FAA  AIP funding.
  • 2002………..Rehabilitate runway and taxiway, using FAA  AIP funding.
  • 2004………..Major drainage and swale at the south end was constructed using FAA  AIP funding.
  • 2004………..Port purchased “Lopez Flyers” property and leases for hangars B, C and D  using FAA  AIP funds.
  • 2005………..Acquired airport buffer land, approximately 18 acres on Channel Rd. using FAA  AIP funding.
  • 2007………..Island’s first cell tower constructed on airport property funded by Sprint/Nextel. Tower owned by Port leased to cellular carrier.
  • 2012………..Reconstruction of taxiway, connectors and apron using FAA  AIP funding.
  • 2012………..Acquired Sea Plane landing zone in Fisherman Bay from Kenmore Air. See: Sea Plane page.
  • 2015……….. Acquired approximately 18 acres of property and cleared obstructions at both ends of runway.
  • 2015…………Port purchased it’s first public marine access property, “Bayview Day Park”  on Fisherman Bay.
  • 2017…………Airport camping and picnic shelter built using SJC Economic Developement Grant and volunteers Bruce Dunlop and Kenn Aufderhar.
  • 2015 to 18…Comprehensive FAA approved master plan developed for airport using FAA  AIP funding.

                                                                  

Compiled by Stephen Adams with help from Verna Walker, Bob Porter and Jim Higginsen